The process of helping others to resolve conflicts – in your family, your workplace, your neighbourhood or community
10 evenings @ 3 hours each.
Tutor: Thomas Riedmuller
Thursdays 29 January to 2 April 2013 7-10 pm
Venue: UCC, Cork
For Registration get in touch with The Centre for Adult Continuing Education
UCC – Regina Sexton, Short Course Co-ordinator E. email@example.com T: 00353 21 4904700
This course is for community leaders, teachers, youth workers and everybody who wants to make a difference to their local community or organisation.
– general conflict awareness, escalation, de-escalation
– resolution techniques and their uses – mediation as opposed to negotiation, arbitration, legislation
– creating safe space, ground rules, managing issues such as confidentiality, impartiality, trust etc.
– stages of the mediation process
– techniques for active listening, paraphrasing, summarising, reframing
– introduction to Community Mediation as a service that requires volunteers to be trained to mediate conflicts in neighbourhoods.
– introduction to Peer Mediation in schools
– limits of the mediation process
– other methods for reconciliation and restorative justice
The teaching style is practical and experiential. Role play is used to practice skills. At the end of the course participants should be able to help neighbours, colleagues, and people in their care to resolve their own conflicts.
The course tutor Thomas Riedmuller is a mediator and educator who has been teaching Leadership and Conflict Resolution courses since 2001 at UCC and Kinsale Further Education College.
What previous participants said about Thomas’ courses and facilitation style:
‘I found that the strategies and suggestions we discussed have helped me to communicate better, both at work and in my voluntary community commitments. I would highly recommend Thomas’ course to anyone who wishes to improve their personal or public communication style, or anyone who wishes to become a more effective group leader’ Anna Ridgeway, B.A., M.Ed., PhD, HDE, Adv.Dip.Mont.Educ.
‘Thomas Riedmuller is clearly a gifted teacher and communicator. His lectures are highly organised. I believe he is making a major contribution to community development in the Cork area and that his teachings should form an essential module in all second level civics programmes.’ Tony Power B.A., HDE, D.Cat., Dip.Philos.